December 6, 2012

Green Chile Casserole Recipe

I absolutely love Mexican food.  I always experiment with different ingredients to see what new tasty dish I could come up with and anything cheesy is a bonus in my eyes.  Today I am home from work feeling under the weather and a nice hot lunch sounded good.  I starting looking through the fridge and pantry to see what I could come up with and decided on this Green Chile Casserole.


Ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey
8 oz. canned diced green chilies
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
8 oz. can of tomato sauce
8 oz. grated white cheddar
12 oz. grated Mexican style cheese blend
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup masa flour


Directions:

1.  Brown ground turkey and add green chilies, spices and tomato sauce.  

2.  Spray the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.

3.  Place meat mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.


4.  Sprinkle both cheeses on top of the meat mixture.


5.  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk and masa flour together 
and pour over the top of the other ingredients.


6.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour covered.

7.  Bake for an additional 5 - 10 minutes uncovered to lightly brown.

8.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream and salsa on top if desired.


Serves 8 VERY generous portions.

 
Foodie Friends Friday


This recipe is featured on Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party.

Foodie Friends Friday



9 comments:

  1. I spent many years in the Southwest and just love Mexican food! This recipe sounds really good. I love anything with a lot of cheese! Thanks for sharing.
    Cynthia L. http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I live in El Paso, TX and I haven't seen this before. We have access to Hatch, NM green chiles and I have a freezer full. This will be on my list of dishes to serve when the gang is here at Christmas. They will love it.
    Drop by my kitchen for a visit. www.tumbleweedcontessa.com
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this would be delicious with fresh green chiles in it! I hadn't seen anything like this before either. I just threw some ingredients together to come up with this recipe and it was a big hit! It will be on the regular rotation now!

      Delete
  3. Mexican is one of my favorites, and this recipe sounds and looks delicious. Will certainly give it a try. I found you through Daphne at Ivy, Phyllis, and Me. Have a great day. We are your newest members, and would love for you to join us.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for the follow. Please attach the URL of your blog so I can follow you back!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your recipe at Foodie Friends Friday! Please remember to come back and vote on Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks delicious Kelly! I will have to try! I'm mostly Mexican and would have never come up with this combination! This is a definite must try! Priscilla

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Please leave me a note below and I will respond.

Please share this content:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

share the love