December 1, 2012

Almond Joy Overnight Oatmeal Recipe

I just love candy.  Especially chocolate.  And I really love coconut.  Mmmm. . .an Almond Joy candy bar sounds really good right now.  Except that I'm trying to eat healthy.  So I decided to give this overnight oatmeal recipe a try since it has both cocoa and coconut in it.  The bonus?  Its made in the crock pot all while you sleep.  And it really doesn't have very much sugar per serving so its still healthy.  Score!  I love when a recipe is that fuss free.

Ingredients:

1 cup steel-cut oats
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut flakes
2 Tbsp sliced almonds

Directions:

1.  Start this recipe about 1 - 2 hours before you plan to go to bed.

2.  Combine the water, milk, vanilla, cocoa, brown sugar and
salt in the crock of your crock pot.  

3.  Stir in the oats and the coconut flakes.    

  4.  I used a small 1.5 quart crock pot because my large crock pot
does not have a warm setting and it just barely fit.

5.  Set the crock pot to LOW for 1 - 2 hours and then turn it to
the WARM setting before bedtime.


6.  When you wake in the morning, your house will be
filled with the scent of Almond Joy!  

7.  Give the contents of the crock pot a stir.  

This is how it appears prior to stirring
first thing in the morning.
8.  Top individual servings with a light dusting of cocoa or
shaved chocolate and sliced almonds.

9.  Sit back and image you are enjoying a candy
bar instead of healthy oats!


Note:  You might want to either oil the inside of your crock pot or use a crock pot liner to prevent the oats from sticking.  I did neither and had no problems but some crock pots run a little hotter than others.

Makes 4 servings


This recipe is featured on Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party.

Foodie Friends Friday




5 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal in the winter time! I will have to give this recipe a try. Almond Joy candy bars are one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I will be using this recipe when company comes. We will be doing a lot of site seeing and I love anything that will make a busy holiday easier.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe on Foodie Friends Friday! Hope you come back next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. . .It really isn't sweet, so you might want to serve with honey or sugar/sweetner. I happen to like it as is without the extra sweetness. But I'm also one that can eat plain oatmeal with nothing but a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. I like the nutty flavor!

      Delete
  3. I love oatmeal and have been wanting to try one in the crock pot overnight! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Please leave me a note below and I will respond.

Please share this content:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

share the love